Tappan Zee Constructors’ Proposal Approved

The design-build proposal for the new New York Bridge to replace the Tappan Zee approved on Monday by the New York State Thruway Authority Board of Directors will deliver the project at a far lower cost than initially estimated, Thruway Board Chairman Howard P. Milstein said today.

The proposal approved on Monday was submitted by Tappan Zee Constructors, a consortium that includes Fluor Enterprises, American Bridge Company, Granite Construction Northeast, and Traylor Bros.

“The unanimous approval of the proposal from Tappan Zee Constructors marks an important milestone in the project to build a new New York bridge to replace the Tappan Zee. The price proposal from Tappan Zee Constructors was at least 20 percent lower than other bidders, requires less dredging and can be completed faster than the other proposals,” Milstein said. “Most importantly, the design-build process produced a savings of at least $1.5 billion compared to the amounts estimated by the Federal Highway Administration and our own original estimates.

“Governor Cuomo deserves tremendous credit for this success. It was the Governor who provided the leadership the project was lacking, brought a sense of urgency to the process and expressed a vision for how to move forward,” Milstein added. “I’d like to thank Governor Cuomo for his strong support and leadership. I would also like to commend and thank the many individuals at the Thruway Authority and our partners at other state and federal agencies who worked so hard to bring us to this historic moment.”

The contract with Tappan Zee Constructors will now be formally reviewed by the State Comptroller and the Attorney General. Chairman Milstein noted that Thruway officials have over the past few months provided extensive information to the Comptroller’s office regarding the procurement of the new bridge project, which represents the largest transportation design-build project to date in the United States and one of the largest construction contracts in New York State history.

The new New York Bridge will be transit-ready for all modes including bus rapid transit, light rail or commuter rail. Earlier this month, Chairman Milstein announced the establishment of a Mass Transit Task Force, which will work to identify short, medium and long-term transit solutions for the bridge and the I-287 corridor in Westchester and Rockland Counties including the bridge; develop funding strategies to implement and sustain transit operations; and create a corridor management plan to ensure a viable transit program. The task force, comprised of state and local officials and transit and planning experts, will meet for the first time later this week and will have one year to complete its work and make recommendations.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s